Pancakes are a family favourite but you don't need to save them for Shrove Tuesday!
With these super simple and healthy pancakes you can start the day with a protein rich breakfast and 2 servings of fruit (plus more if you fancy!) They are also gluten free and dairy free if that's your thing and fab for however old your children are...from weaning babies to grown ups!
Not only simple to do so you can get the little ones involved in cooking but there are only 3 basic ingredient...eggs, banana and apple!
1 apple, grated
Optional: ground ginger, turmeric, cinnamon
Optional to serve: maple syrup, extra fruit e.g. blueberries or raspberries
- Mash bananas
- Mix in the other ingredients
- Add a sprinkle of spices if you want (I normally add a pinch of each listed above - see below for the health benefits*)
- Heat a large flat pan with some oil (I use coconut oil)
- Spoon the pancake mix into the pan depending on the size of pancake you want
- Cook on each side for approx 1 1/2 minutes each side (make sure the egg is cooked through)
- Serve with berries, maple syrup or whatever else you fancy!
(You can make extra so you have for another day or freeze them but they don't last long!)
Recipe adapted from Eat, Sleep Nurture
The other great thing is that all my Halia Rose jewellery could go in the dishwasher so it didn't matter that some of the pancake mix dropped on my bracelets!
*Health benefits of spices? Not only can they add a lovely extra zing of flavour but spices can be really beneficial for your health. For these pancakes I add the following:
- Ground Ginger: helps aid digestion, reduce nausea and help fight the flu and common cold
- Turmeric: well-know for it's anti-inflammatory effects and as an antioxidant
- Cinnamon: can lower blood sugar levels and reduce heart disease risk
If you enjoyed this recipe, why not check out some of our other favourites here